Create a call from an email conversation

Hello,

I am looking for a way to create a call session where as the conversation has started as an email.
I'd like the new call to be part of the same conversation.
It seems the UI do not allo that.
Further more, I do not have also found a way to do it using the API.
Please, advice,

Vincent

Have you tried /api/v2/conversations/calls/{conversationId} because it describes itself as "Place a new call as part of a callback conversation."

POST /api/v2/conversations/{conversationId}/participants/{participantId}/callbacks also sounds plausible if you already know who you want to be doing the call; "Create a new callback for the specified participant on the conversation."

Hi Vincent,

Eos provided some good links in the post above.. Here are a couple of other resources:

1. Scheduled Callbacks
  2. Tutorial for creating Callbacks Python/NodeJS

Finally, this is probably outside the scope of what you are doing, but we do have a nice blueprint that shows how to setup automated callbacks

Thanks,
John Carnell
Manager, Developer Engagement

Thanks Eos.

[/api/v2/conversations/calls/{conversationId}:]
Unfortunately the API to create a callback should be part of the call conversation. I've tried it from a email conversation, and I have this error: "The participant has no active conversation".

[POST /api/v2/conversations/{conversationId}/participants/{participantId}/callbacks]
Does not work also. The error is: "Callbacks may not be scheduled on non-voice communications"

So, it seems we cannot create calls as part of an email conversation.
Are you OK with that?

Thanks,

Vincent

1 Like

Hello,

It is unfortunately not possible to have a conversation (single conversation) that combines both email and voice media sessions.
I think it is only possible to have voice and callback combined, or screenshare/cobrowse with a chat or voice conversation.

You can request a new feature and share your use case at https://genesyscloud.ideas.aha.io/

I don't know if the following will help, depending on what you are trying to do, linking the email conversation with the voice conversation:

1 -
If you are storing your customer contacts in Genesys Cloud as External Contacts, the 2 conversations would have the same externalContactId (that you can use in a filter, in an analytics query).

2 -
You could also set specific common participant attributes on the Email conversation and on the Voice conversation.
But participant attributes are not something you can leverage as a filter in an Analytics Query for conversation details or in an Aggregate Query.

In order to leverage a specific custom property to be leveraged in a filter of an Analytics Query for Conversation Details, you'll need to do one more thing via API which is to index conversation properties using POST /api/v2/analytics/conversations/{conversationId}/details/properties.

You can check these two other posts which relate to the indexing of conversation properties: Here and here.

3 -
Otherwise, if you are not using it for another purpose already, you could leverage the externalTag attribute (single attribute/value).
externalTag will be rendered when requesting Conversation context (Conversations API) or Conversation Details (Analytics API).
You can use the external Tag to store an identifier for your customer (external identifier) or anything you want.

The externalTag can be set using Set External Tag action in an Architect flow, or using the API with PUT /api/v2/conversations/{conversationId}/tags

externalTag can be leveraged in an Analytics filter (or I think in groupBy in an Aggregate query as well) - but that part is still in Preview.
See the list of available dimensions for conversation details and the dimensions for Aggregate queries.

As I just wrote above, the use of externalTag as a dimension in Analtyics appears to be in Preview at this stage.
Which means that you can try/use it (when an API endpoint is in preview, it is not included yet in the SDK or in the API Developer Tools - but you can invoke it via code or Data Action providing the full url/path) but the restrictions displayed at the top of the Preview APIs page apply:
->
Limited Access and Breaking Changes

The API resources on this page are available in a limited capacity as a preview of resources that are intended to be released publicly at some point in the future. Access to these resources is often restricted by feature toggles enabled on a per-org basis. These resources are subject to both breaking and non-breaking changes at any time without notice. This includes, but is not limited to, changing resource names, paths, contracts, documentation, and removing resources entirely.

Regards,

All of this make sense.
Thanks a lot guys.

@Jerome.Saint-Marc Awesome answer Jerome. Thank you. @Eos_Rios Thanks for jumping in with your feedback.

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.