users/{userId}/profile replacement

I recently noticed that we have deprecated the users/{userId}/profile in favor of using the users/{userId} endpoint with an "expand" query parameter. I have a couple of questions and concerns.

1. It seems that the HR data section is available under the “employerInfo” expansion. Thankfully a colleague of mine had already figured that out, but there doesn’t seem to be a tie between “HR” and “employerInfo” to help the customer know how to transition from the old API to the new one. I am not sure how to guide folks here.

2. The next thing I noticed is that I can’t access custom sections that I have added through the profile fields in the admin menu. These were available in the old endpoint, so it’s possible I just don’t understand what to put in the expand part of the query to access custom sections

3. While exploring the new API through the dev center I put the full list of things that could be expanded into the expand input box. Employer info is toward the end of that list and it doesn’t come back when I put it at the end of the list, however if I bump it to the front of the list it does come back. It seems to only affect employer info and that is very strange.

1. employeeInfo is documented here

though there is no explicit explanation of what expands fields mean/represent, the corresponding trees can be viewed further down in the documentation;

But there is no clear transition guide I am aware of on how to shift from any of the deprecated APIs to their recommended alternatives.
2. See this topic
3. Cannot confirm or recreate that, employerInfo comes back in my requests regardless the order, as long as I respect it being case sensitive.

Thank you Shane and Eos!

Regarding point 1 - we have logged a ticket to improve the documentation.

For point 2 - I am planning an overhaul of custom profile fields to begin in Q1 2022, to include better API support. Please vote for and follow this idea to stay informed.

For point 3 - I cannot recreate either. Shane, if you are still able to reproduce, please let me know so that I can create a bug ticket.

Thanks again,
Becky

Circling back to this, sorry it's been busy!

For point 2, I would assume that we will not see the deprecated profile API disappear until after the profile overhaul is complete, is that correct?

On point 3...this is odd. but if you pre-pend employerInfo with a space it causes the issue. I haven't tested all of the options but it seems to only affect employerInfo. Other options are good with a space or without a space in front of them.

Here is one with a space, you can see "employerInfo" does not come back but "presence" does even though it has a space in front of it.

If I remove the space from "employerInfo" but leave the space in front of "presence" all of it comes back

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.