Challenges in Handling Conversation History and Message Attribution while using Open Messaging

Hello everyone,

I am currently working on integrating Genesys Open Messaging API to manage conversation handovers from a bot to Genesys agents. We aim to differentiate between messages originating from the bot and those from the customer in the agent's view. I've encountered several challenges and would appreciate any insights or solutions.

1. Agent-less API Issues:
    We have been using the agent-less API to create bot messages. However, we face a persistent issue where not all bot messages are transmitted. An error occurs stating, "Bad request: An active conversation is already in progress" when the conversation is marked active. Is there a way to change when the conversation is active? How does this process work? Agent-less API Documentation.

2. Conversation API for creating Agent Messages:
    Attempting to use the conversation API to create agent messages has been unsuccessful. The documentation on effectively using the conversationId and communicationId is unclear. The necessary parameters and their retrieval are vaguely defined, complicating the implementation. For the conversation ID, I found I would need to have a message created beforehand based on Get a conversation ID guide.

This issue seems to be a common stumbling block for developers, as evidenced by discussions like this forum thread "How to find communicationid in a conversations".

Given these challenges, I wonder if anyone here has successfully implemented a solution to display conversation histories distinctly for bot-generated and customer messages using Open Messaging. Any examples, documentation references, or insights would be greatly appreciated.

I could not post more links due to limitations on new users.

Thank you!

@Nacho

1. There is a boolean parameter on that agentless request called useExistingActiveConversation seems like what you are asking for there. Try setting that to true
  2. you can find a recent documentation update, for some of your questions about communicationIds, etc here messaging apis Be aware that agent initiated conversations happen using the create outbound conversation api today
1 Like

@Greg_Boston, thanks a lot for the quick answer; that option made it work for the agent-less API. I will check the new documentation as well.