Feature Request: Allow `archy version` to download latest binary without requiring .bat file or archyBin directory

Good afternoon! Recently Archy 2.27.0 was released which, among other things, fixed an issue I had previously reported. I ran archy version 2.27.0 and received an error because my Archy binary wasn't located in an folder called archyBin. Once I renamed the folder I received another error because there was not an archy.bat file located in the parent directory.

These two items seem extremely arbitrary for what is literally a .exe you can just add to your path (As I have). Terraform, kubectl, many other tools just ship the binary and require you to manually add it to your path. Requiring a .bat file (Especially in the age of PowerShell where you can't run bat files simply by typing in their name) and a folder with an extremely specific name isn't necessary for most users. Plus, in order for someone to be able to run the Archy executable, they'd have to either be in that directory anyway or add that batch file to their path, nullifying its use.

Can this serve as a feature request to remove those arbitrary limitations in the next version of Archy? The only reason I can think of for the batch file is for some sort of multi-version support which is possible by archy updating the .bat file on version change, but a possible solution to this problem would be to simply use symlinks and symlink a file to the actual version the user has selected (Such as how the Node package manager "pnpm" does it). As for the archyBin directory, that requirement would be removed by removing the .bat file.

Thanks for the consideration!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.