HashiCorp Terraform License Change: What Does This Mean for You?

Hi everyone,

I'm concerned about the recent announcement that HashiCorp is changing the license for Terraform from the MPL 2.0 to the BSL. The BSL is a non-open source license, which means that it is not free to use for commercial purposes. This change could make it more difficult and expensive for organizations to use Terraform in production environments.

I'm curious to hear what do you think about this change. Do you have any concerns? Have you talked to your customers about it? Have you signed any new contracts with HashiCorp?

I'd love to start a discussion about this topic. Please feel free to share your thoughts in the comments below :smiley:

Thanks,
Dawid

Hello Dawid,

Thank you for getting in touch via this post. Please note: anything stated in this post should not be taken as legal advice or indemnification by Genesys.

Hashicorp's decision to shift from an open-source license to the BSL came as a surprise, both to us and the wider community. In the weeks since the announcement, I've been collaborating with our legal and product teams to explore the most appropriate path forward.

I plan to release a more comprehensive blog post in the near future, outlining Genesys' future direction. For now, here is what I can share:

1. Genesys remains firmly committed to the open-source ethos. Our CX as Code provider will continue to operate under its current MIT license, ensuring an openly available Terraform provider.

2. While Hashicorp has publicly stated that Terraform users can continue to use Terraform in their own CI/CD pipeline to deploy their own infrastructure, I suggest that any organization using Terraform review the terms and conditions of Hashicorp's BSL license with their own legal department and make their own assessment of risk. (e.g. You are embedding Terraform directly within your own product)

The BSL license is not open source and the terms of it can be modified at any point in the future.

1. We are actively monitoring the OpenTF Foundation's fork of Terraform and will evaluate its stability and
    feasibility over the coming months.

Genesys is steadfast in using CX as Code as a means to help our customers navigate the complexity and configuration of their contact centers. We are also unwavering in our commitment to keeping CX as Code open-source and supporting open platforms.

Once again, thank you for reaching out to us, and I look forward to sharing our thoughts more concisely in an upcoming blog post.

Best regards,
John Carnell
Director, Developer Engagement

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.