Rate limit for creating email conversations

We are in the process of implementing a solution that initiates creating email conversations in bulk.
We expect to create around 150-200 interactions at a time.

I went through the below URL and found that the maximum number os requests per client credentials grant token per minute is 300 and that it is configurable -

https://developer.genesys.cloud/organization/organization/limits#platform-api

The API that we are planning to invoke in bulk is (looping 150-200 times)

https://developer.genesys.cloud/routing/conversations/conversations-apis#post-api-v2-conversations-emails

We are trying to find interactions belonging to inactive users in salesforce who have cases assigned and redistribute them to queues using a flow ID.

Hi Shashank,

Based on your email I am not really sure what your question is? Could you provide some more context and be more specific about the questions around the API.

Thanks,
John Carnell
Manager, Developer Engagement

1 Like

Hi John,

Thank you for responding back!

We have implemented case routing with Salesforce in my organization.
Salesforce sends route requests to Genesys using the Salesforce managed package for Genesys Cloud whenever a case is either created or a salesforce agents intends to transfer a case to a particular queue.

Some of the cases do not get serviced for a long time because they are assigned to some inactive agents who no longer work here. Currently our workforce team manually transfers such cases to the queue using a message box on Salesforce which internally invokes the Managed package to send a route request to Genesys.(to a certain architect flow which sends the interaction back to a queue)

We are hoping to automate the above process. If there are multiple cases that an inactive user was assigned to , the process should invoke transfer request for all those cases at the same time.

As I understand the managed package internally invokes the POST method to create an email conversation using the below API -
https://developer.genesys.cloud/routing/conversations/conversations-apis#post-api-v2-conversations-emails

The question is if we try to create the email conversations in bulk looping for the number of open cases assigned to a user , would we reach the rate limit and get errors from Genesys Cloud? We are anticipating a maximum of 100-150 cases that have been assigned to an inactive user.

Please let me know if this clarifies what we are trying to accomplish.

Thank You,
Shashank

Hi Shashank,

A couple of thoughts:

A. We have a 300 requests per minute per OAuth token with a maximum of 3000 requests for all OAuth tokens. If you stay below the 300 requests per minute you should be fine.

B. Most of our rate-limiting situations will return a 429 indicating a rate limit has been reached and will provide in the header a retry-after (in seconds) for when you should try again. So in a "polite" application, your code should handle the rate limit. Here are some documents and blog posts on how to handle rate-limiting:

1. Rate limiting documentation
  2. Building resiliency into your cloud applications
  3. Rate-limiting Overview DevDrop
  4. How to use the Java SDK to turn on Automated Retry Logic
  5. 45 minute application on building resilent applications.

C. The rate limits I have described so far are for the OAuth Client itself. Individual APIs can have their own rate limits. I suggest you check our API Rate Limits page and see if there are any rate limits applicable to your API call.

I hope that helps.

Thanks,
John Carnell
Manager, Developer Engagment

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.