Sending Web Survey emails via Custom SMTP

Goal = send clients a web survey by email after a voice or callback interaction and have it arrive in their inbox not their junk/spam folder as it currently is.

For this we have had to setup Custom SMTP integration from Genesys Cloud to our 3rd party mail platform (SendGrid) as the standard email route taken is seen as spam.

We can send emails fine from Queues through this integration to the client and it does traverse the external SMTP server ok.
Using API Explorer i can send a manual email and it goes out via the custom SMTP integration to the client ok.

The issue:

As soon as we send a Web Survey email out it does NOT use the custom SMTP setup but reverts back to the standard out of the box email delivery via Amazon (Genesys Cloud). These emails are tagged as spam/junk when they arrive at the client i believe due to spoofing the email from address / having a survey web link that is different etc.

The Setup:

Policy is setup to trigger the Survey after a call comes into a certain test queue (for test purposes)
All outbound email is routed via the Custom STMP integration.
We are using a sub domain for sending emails FROM and the policy is set to use this as well.
Custom SMTP "TEST" passes successfully.
Our Survey flow retrieves the interaction ID of the last call, looks up dynamics CRM for the Email address and clients first name and inserts this into the Survey invite form.
The policy is triggering fine and DOES send the survey link (in email) out to the client, just not via custom smtp.
I have tried hard coding the clients email address into the Survey invite flow to see if that will work but NO.
I have also tried adding an external contact into Genesys Cloud with the clients calling ANI number, First and last name AND email address and NO.

After logging a support ticket to investigate they advised me the Survey flow needs to obtain the email address from the External Genesys Cloud Contact in order for it to route the Survey email out via CUSTOM SMTP servers

Has anyone had any success sending Surveys out by looking up External Contacts??
It would be very useful if there were error logs or diagnostic / verbose logging of Email traffic / Survey traffic.

Hi,

My understanding is that Survey does work only with SES (AWS email service).
There is currently a Feature Request for this.

This said, it would be interesting to know why received emails are being seen as spam.
There could be a variety of reasons for this.
Have you configured Dkim and Spf ?
Can you get headers from the receiver ?

Have you followed recommendations from there ?

There's a nice repo on survey configuration and external contact:

Hope this helps,

Regards,
V.P.

Thanks for your feedback VP.

Genesys Customer care did say the email address used in the survey needs to be retrieved from the External contacts of Genesys Cloud or it will not work.

I have looked into the DKIM setup.

Here is an example of the header for a voice Survey email as it arrived externally in the Spam/Junk folder with sensitive data redacted. I see the Spam level is marked as Medium. I believe it is going to Spam/Junk due to spoofing rules as the email comes FROM: a sub domain address which is connected to our company but obviously different to Genesys embedded Survey URL.
When we manually send from another platform to our Custom SMTP server an Actual Survey invite after triggering it (policy) after a live call it DOES arrive correctly in the INBOX. The Custom SMTP server alters the SURVEY URL to one of its own, then redirects that traffic to the actual URL from Genesys behind the scenes.