Developer Tools site

Has the old Developer tools site finally gone the way of the dinosaurs?

When navigating to
https://developer.genesys.cloud/developer-tools/
It gets caught in an infinite redirect loop.

Hi Aton,

Ahhh..... The old developer tools, I knew them well.... (My extent of Shakespeare I remember).

We have been posting multiple notices over the last several months that the old developer tools (including the URL were going to be deprecated and removed). The removal of the old developer tools was rolled out tonight so that is why you are getting an infinite loop if you are trying to go directly to the old developer tools.

I would recommend you clear your cache and then use tools under: https://developer.genesys.cloud/devapps/. We have been working pretty hard to make the standalone API explorer similar in functionality to the old API explorer (e.g. the tabbed interface) so please feel free to post about any issues or recommendations for improvement here to the forum.

Thanks,
John Carnell
Director, Developer Engagement

1 Like

This was announced in february. More information can be found in the original announcement: Removal of legacy developer tools

1 Like

@tim.smith
Can you look at case# 0003274771 please. The POST /api/v2/flows/datatables/{datatableId}/rows still seems to have incorrect schema. I just tested again.

Thanks @John_Carnell and @tim.smith

Yes I was aware, and have been using the new API Explorer, but there was a few things I still used the old one for, and some of my co-workers were caught out.

Main one for me is date picker, sometimes I would use the old query builder just for the date picker, then copy the result over to the new one. I know this has been discussed before so understand it is hard to implement.

That and having the drop downs when selecting a Dimension like QueueId in the analytics aggregation APIs, the Queue names used to come in a drop down to select from. So little things like that are just a little harder now, and I would still use the old tool set when working with lots of QueuesIds for example.

I like the new tool set, I do, was just a few things that I will miss.

1 Like

@zubair please continue to work with Care. The dev forum is not an alternative to working with Care.

That item is still on our backlog. I'll see if we can bump it up.

The new API Explorer does this. You of course have to be signed in to your org to be able to fetch a list of users/queues for the dropdown, otherwise you'll be given a free-form text input.

1 Like

The removal of this site was a surprise to our organization. As far as I can remember, it was not posted on the site itself, nor in the features coming soon (which we review as a team weekly to avoid surprises like this).

Shifting to a new tool like this isn't necessarily a problem, but it would have been nice if we had time to prepare.

@bobcodes This was announced 8 months ago: Removal of legacy developer tools. The initial announcement gave only 2 months till removal, but we gave an extra 6 months for everyone to have time to adjust their workflows.

If you're unfamiliar with the announcements category on the developer forum, please review the change management policy: https://developer.genesys.cloud/platform/api/changemanagement.

Thank you for the information, we were not aware that some changes are not announced in the features coming soon page. I will communicate with our team that they should watch the other channels as well.

It would be fantastic if the weekly Release Notes included a section with the forum Announcements, at least mentioning them. So all the changes would be announced at the same place, instead of having to track both the Resource Center and the Developer Forum.

@Adrian_Santamaria can you please submit that on the ideas site? There are separate processes for product release notes and developer announcements and they do not overlap per Genesys' release management processes. I don't disagree with your feedback, but it needs to be given in a location that will make it to the product management team for consideration. It carries a lot more weight when you say it there than when I relay it internally (which I do). https://genesyscloud.ideas.aha.io/

The new site is nowhere as user friendly as the old site, if you are an API guru then I guess it is but for a lot of us its horrid

@AndyJackson thank you for your insight. Though I'd like to ask if you could add a little more detail on your struggles to provide feedback we can work with?

Thanks Tim,

Clearly I forget to login all the time, that is on me. This was certainly one of the nice things of the old tools, if I was logged in to Admin portal I didn't have to then login to the API explorer.

I do like the look and feel of the new tools, and that it is in the same place as the documentation which is nice.

I did like the layout of the old tools set in that when using an API you've never used before it had the schema written out, and the description on what was needed or not and what values to expect right there on the right. I know the new toolset has this, buts not as nicely contained, and has just taken a bit to get use.

1 Like

Thank you for the information!

The new site offers more features and better account management, but it's also added a few clicks to get to the same result and it's not mandatory so it requires you to remember to do it. I've started a request to bump up the access token duration to 7 days for the dev tools. That should reduce the frequency you'll be forced to re-add accounts.

For convenience, you can bookmark the OAuth redirect URL for a region. Grab it from the network console in your browser when you add an account. When you click it, it will start the oauth flow and redirect you back to the page in the state.

Here's a URL that will do so for US East and redirect back to API Explorer: https://login.mypurecloud.com/oauth/authorize?client_id=96a7d55b-1ed5-4719-9094-08a2a69ca07c&response_type=token&redirect_uri=https://developer.genesys.cloud/&state=location%253D%25252Fdevapps%25252Fapi-explorer%2526region%253Dmypurecloud.com

This one goes to the standalone API Explorer: https://login.mypurecloud.com/oauth/authorize?client_id=96a7d55b-1ed5-4719-9094-08a2a69ca07c&response_type=token&redirect_uri=https://developer.genesys.cloud/&state=location%253D%25252Fdevapps%25252Fapi-explorer-standalone%2526region%253Dmypurecloud.com

Just making sure you're familiar with the "pro mode" toggle. It gives you a side-by-side layout of the schema and JSON editor, albeit they've switched sides. Can you give more detail about what you mean by it's "not as nicely contained"?

1 Like

Thanks Tim,

Bookmark saved, nice little tip, I'll make sure to pass on to the rest of my team.

Its hard to put in to words without screenshots to compare. But I think it is mostly getting use to it, learning the tools like pro mode etc. Think big part is just expanding and filling properties seems clunky.

I've been using the new tools awhile to prep for the change, but still found myself reverting back to the old tools there was just something that were easier to do, but again might just be a familiarity thing.

Its a shame old one was very intuitive, devapps/api-explorer not so much, and have some weird visuals like when is not on full screen, i dont like the tool window in the lower bottom, but its done so good bye old friend!

On the old API page if I was looking for the API that for email for example, I would type email in the search term and it would give me the relevant APIs that would work on email. This was nice and easy, with the new one I have to scroll down ?? hundred API to find it unless I use the filter ticks, I think the fields that you need to add is a good feature as some of the API was hard know what to remove, add etc to get the search working so that's a good feature but I feel its the front end needs work. The original layout was good and easy to navigate so combining that with the new API toolbox would be a better fit.

Done! Genesys Cloud Ideas Portal

1 Like