Looking for information on "communication IDs"

Good morning, :smiley:

So, this concept is something extremely mysterious, a very nebulous and vague chunk of slanguage that has led to countless bugs due to misunderstandings. The other day, I cracked one wide open - the error I was getting about a conversation "not existing" or something along those lines - simply because I happened to notice the wording called it a "communication" and not a "conversation". I would like to see if there is a means to demystify this type of ID. All I really know at this point is:

1. It's a GUID (easier to say than UUID :laughing:), like most IDs in Genesys.
  2. It's not the same thing as a conversation.
  3. It's usually buried deep in sub-sub-sub-sub-objects, under a different name. Like if you call getConversation it may be called a "sessionId" or... I forget the other aliases used. It's a sneaky little goober, a master of disguise. :laughing:

I'm sure this question, being so very general in nature, has a good article someplace. I'm interested to know everything I can about these dark unknowns.

• What is a "communication"?
  • How is it different from a "conversation"?
  • Is there a complete list of "aliases" these IDs go by? Like I would have thought a sessionId identifies a "session", whatever that is, not a "communication". Or I guess to put it another way, how do I figure out if an ID is a communication ID? Whoever built the thing knows what is really a communication ID and what isn't, so that info must be available somehow. But a GUID's a GUID as far as I'm concerned. They all look alike, so it's not like these IDs are prefixed like "COM_4d3cb875-cfb9-49e0-b35e-e9c6ec7c6055" or "communication://4d3cb875-cfb9-49e0-b35e-e9c6ec7c6055" or anything like that... like how do I spot one if it goes by another name?
  • Anything else that might clarify or shed light on this very elusive subject would be greatly appreciated. :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.