MS Teams Telephony Integration

Microsoft Teams (also called MS Teams) is a collaboration and business communications platform that provides chat, video, and calling capabilities as well as integrations with other Microsoft cloud productivity tools like OneDrive, Office365, and Sharepoint. Microsoft announced in 2017 that Skype for Business would eventually be replaced by MS Teams as the go-to product for business communication, including telephony as well as collaboration tools. Since then, Microsoft has continued to provide additional details over time as MS Teams capabilities have been iterated and enhanced. MS Teams is reportedly now more widely used than Slack, another leading collaboration app.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://developer.mypurecloud.com/blog/2019-10-01-ms-teams-integration/index.html
3 Likes

Hello,

my company is planing to use MS Teams and we already use Genesys cloud.
The features that would be really great for us is the status synchronisation between MS Teams and Genesys Coud.

Exemple :
If an agent is in a call with Genesys Cloud we would like that his MS Teams status is "Busy" and vice versa.

Is it planned? If yes, when can we expect that kind of integration?

What would need to be done to be able to have the system being integrated?

Kind regards,

NT.

Hi there Nathan,

Our integration with Microsoft Teams is currently in development. Please follow this topic in our ideas portal for status udates and progress, or to ask any specific questions about planned functionality.

Have a great day!

Hi All,

THe integration looks good except we are not pushing the ANI of the user on Teams. It will only push the ANI that is on the trunk? Any thoughts?

Thanks

AG

Hi there. Is there an update to this? It would be good to get an eta of when this will be ready.

Thanks

TS

Hi Tony - we are targeting an end of Q2 deliver for this feature.

Thanks for the update!

The integration uses a standard external trunk. The ANI should not be decided by the integration rather by the trunk settings. If you want to use user ANIs on dialed called, you can follow the resource center article: https://help.mypurecloud.com/articles/external-trunk-settings/

In the section "Calling" look at the "Address Override Method". If you set it to "Unassigned DID" and a user makes a call who has a primary number assigned on their profile, that number will be used as the ANI. The trunk number will only be used for users that do not have a number assigned in their profile.

Please let me know if this corrects your issue.

Thanks Phil but these are Teams users not PureCloud users. The trunk is setup for BYOC PBX Passthrough.

If I understand your setup, you are dialing from Teams into Genesys Cloud in order to reach the PSTN recipient using a PureCloud Voice trunk with PBX Passthrough. In my tests the PSTN recipient received the call with the Teams ANI. On both your Teams trunk and your PSTN trunk you want to make the aforementioned "Address Override Method" is set on both trunks.

Additionally, there are some Caller-ID settings in Teams. That can be managed from the Teams Admin Center, under Voice and Caller-ID Policies.

When you are receiving the call, what ANI do you see? Is it a number you configured in PureCloud or Teams?

Close but the scenario is this.
Teams only has PureCloud Voice as it's Carrier

1. From my Teams Phone I dial My Cell Phone
  2. When the call rings my cell phone the ANI I see is the number that is assigned on the Teams BYOC trunk in PureCloud.

Thanks

AG

When you are in Teams, in the Calls tab your number should appear above the dial pad. What number is shown there? Also, if you use the PowerShell command to pull your user, which numbers are shown in the OnPremLineURI and LineURI fields?

Get-CsOnlineUser -Identity "<Display Name>" | ft Name, DisplayName
Get-CsOnlineUser -Identity "<your user's 'Name' from above>" | ft OnPremLineURI, LineURI

I tested by clearing out those values on my user and i did observe the call defaulted to the line ANI, similar to what you are reporting.

THis is what we have when we run those tests.
[1:44 PM] Konstantin Albantov

From: "Konstantin Test" sip:+17084096818;ext=6818@sip.pstnhub.microsoft.com:5061;user=phone;tag=1c241170100

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-CsOnlineUser "Konstantin Test" | ft OnPremLineUri, LineUri

OnPremLineURI LineURI

tel:+17084096818;ext=6818 tel:+17084096818;ext=6818

Hi everyone,
Really interesting.
Here my situation :

• Purecloud BYOC Premise (Edge on Site)
  • MS Teams Office 365. (everything on Cloud)

I would like to know

• if we can make and bring calls on Teams from purecloud Communicate ?
  • How to connect Edge to Teams ? External Trunk ?
  • Which MS Teams Licence needed ?
  • Does we can connect Teams as SIP Phone ?
  • Who to contact on Genesys Side to manage an architecture around that ?

Thank you for your help

Anthony, send me an email at phil.whitener@genesys.com and we can connect and discuss in more detail. I would like to see the call traces for both legs of the calls, but cannot find them without your assistance.
Phil

Hi Matt - can you please review the content in my blog post above? Specific to some of your questions, you cannot currently connect a Genesys Cloud edge (Cloud or Premises) directly to Teams as Teams requires a certified SBC connection (link to list of certified SBCs for Teams is included above).

Once you have an intermediary SBC available, we have documented example set up instructions available here: https://community.genesys.com/viewdocument/purecloud-byoc-with-microsoft-teams

For the Teams license, you really should discuss with Microsoft as Teams is their product and we aren't experts at Microsoft licensing. There are many options and the choosing the correct license will depend on what you need from Office 365.

For Architecture help, that is also highly variable and depends on many factors. From Genesys Cloud's perspective, the SIP connection to the intermediary SBC uses the standard BYOC offering and doesn't appear any different from other BYOC connections so we can't offer Teams-specific support for connecting GC to Teams other than the example I provided above. In most cases we recommend customers work with Genesys Partners who are also resellers of Microsoft's products as these partner organizations have the expertise to help configure both Microsoft and Genesys products in complex ways for their clients. Do you have a partner you are working with already?

Thanks!

Thank you for Details dans configuration file.

But what i do not see on your architecture is 'where is the SBC' on cloud or on Premises ?
Does this architecture can works with a premise Edge and SBC on our network ?

Thank you

Hi @tbuck
We're preparing to work on this integration, and wondering about the pstn gw part of the reference document.... Is there a need to set up a dedicated pstn gw for this integration? Or can we use the existing one and just update the routes in the SBC to facilitate the traffic transport to/from Genesys?
Thanks
Dean.

@tbuck,

Any update regarding the subsequent post?