Tutorials on telephony-ese? 😁

Good morning (or afternoon),

I've been asked to use the API to create a report that draws from a few different places (and our admin user was nice enough to show me which reports - in the GUI I mean - they come from) and kick it out as a nice HTML table and/or CSV. But the more I look at it, the more I realize I'm in way over my head. Oh I get the API stuff just fine - I can talk parameters and return values and data types and HTTP methods and SDKs till I turn blue - but the API is not organized like the GUI (there is no reportingAPI.getQueuePerformance or .getAgentStatus etc.), so I'm left trying to decrypt all this nonsensical gibberish, IVRs and ACDs and Service Levels and this whole other language que no entiendo para nada, en serio, quΓ© idioma extraΓ±o es este? :laughing: I don't even know which API endpoints I should be researching.

So how did you guys learn call center slang? Is there like a Duolingo equivalent for it? :laughing: All joking aside, all I know for sure is it probably falls under "analytics". But the analyticsAPI object in the platform SDK doesn't seem to have what I'm looking for. I think I might have to use a few AJAX calls to get "aggrate query" info, and then drill down from there? idk... but looking for things like what I see in the GUI (reports like "queue performance" and "agent status" etc.) and ending up with funky functions like getUserConversationDetailsJobs, I'm like quΓ©? :laughing:

1 Like

You've correctly discovered that reports and views don't have a 1:1 mapping with API endpoints. They make multiple API requests and aggregate the data in various ways. The first place to start is the documentation for the view you're trying to replicate. See About reports, views, and dashboards in the Resource Center. Each view documents each column in it, providing a description of the data it shows. This is also not a direct mapping to an API request, but it describes in English what data is used and is the closest you'll get to a mapping of column data to API resource.

After reviewing the docs for the view you want to replicate, use your browser's developer tools to inspect the network traffic that happens when you load one of the views. This will show you the exact API requests that are being made to collect data for the view. This network traffic combined with the view's documentation should get you most of the way there. There will be gaps that you'll have to fill in, but the most important part is that you understand the calculations you're making in your app so you have a clear understanding of the meaning of the data you're presenting and can explain your report to your users.

It sounds like you've probably already found it, but here's the documentation for the Analytics resources: https://developer.genesys.cloud/analyticsdatamanagement/analytics/

If you get stuck on any specific fields, let us know what you're having trouble with and we should be able to point you in the right direction.

1 Like

You are the man! Yes, thank you very much! Seriously, my concern here was less about where to find stuff (like you said, I've seen the docs) but more along the lines of am I finding the right stuff, the stuff they actually want. That's where all the new lingo becomes a problem. I've been writing code for well over a decade but have no idea what I'm looking at. So this is a huge help!

Genius. Pure genius. Why didn't I think of that? :laughing: